Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Emotional Guidance Scale

Recently, I learned about the Emotional Guidance Scale and have found it to be a great tool for naming and experiencing emotions. This is from Ask and It Is Given by Esther and Jerry Hicks.

1. Joy/Knowledge/Empowerment/Freedom/Love/Appreciation
2. Passion
3. Enthusiasm/Eagerness/Happiness
4. Positive Expectation/Belief
5. Optimism
6. Hopefulness
7. Contentment
8. Boredom
9. Pessimism
10. Frustration/Irritation/Impatience
11. Overwhelment
12. Disappointment
13. Doubt
14. Worry
15. Blame
16. Discouragement
17. Anger
18. Revenge
19. Hatred/Rage
20. Jealousy
21. Insecurity/Guilt/Unworthiness
22. Fear/Grief/Depression/Despair/Powerlessness

They way that I learned to use this scale is to 1) locate the emotion that I am feeling and fully experience it, then 2) look at the emotion that is above this emotion. This second emotion is the one that holds the true wisdom.

Yesterday, I wrote about feeling rage. If we rewind a few days, I was on a vision quest over the weekend. During this weekend, I was working on seeing the jealousy in my life. Fast forward to yesterday, where I was feeling rage and my fears about even feeling this emotion. Last night, I remembered to look at this list, and guess what is directly above jealousy!

What is the lesson in this? Often, we may be confused as to why we are feeling a certain way. This scale will help determine the feeling and the related feeling that we may be avoiding or have a limiting belief about. So for me, I have a lot of fear about rage, and doing work around my jealousy helped me open enough to see my relationship to rage. Now, I can see what's up for me there to help dissipate that fear and limiting belief.

And, I will say that I feel differently in this "opening up" process. It would be as if I were red/green color blind and now I can see those colors. The picture is much more complete. I had a strange dream last night, and in the dream I could see how I was jealous. Wow.

This work is directly related to creating desire, which is ultimately what I want to do on this sabbatical. For many years, I have not really desired much of anything although I thought I did. Unlocking and freeing up my emotions will help me get e-motion - energy in motion.

All the best! Love, Mj
.

0 comments:

Followers

Bookmark and Share
Personal Development Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP