Saturday, February 21, 2009

Interesting Steps in Evolution

I have been quiet lately, and have had an interesting journey for the last two weeks. Several things happened:

The couples weekend was outstanding. We learned a lot about ourselves and our relationship, especially the deep connection that we have for each other. Our connection is on a soul level, and our devotion to each other is deep. We look forward to continuing the work that we started in this weekend!

While we were in San Diego, we were looking at a new school called New World Leadership. The foundation is using the Montessori method, and also adds other important elements:
  • A development program for Guardians (parents, caretakers), Elders (teachers, other leaders) and Children. Each of these groups are carefully selected and aligned to support the full environment of the child using common language and philosophy.
  • This program also has a spiritual component, where all involved with the child are aligned to recognize and realize the Divine nature of the child as well as express their own Divine nature. Originally, the Montessori method had this ideal in the original design on the curriculum, but the fulfillment and expression of this philosophy was ahead of its time.
This project with the school has been an interesting spiritual journey for us. We are definitely excited that we can make a difference with others. And, our beliefs about money have been coming out into the open (yes, our investments are down, just like many others in this economy). I have been very present to when my "old tapes" have been sneaking in, although I wish that I could say that I have been better about managing them in the moment. I have been reading / listening to two books that have greatly influenced my thinking this week and helping me increasingly recognize the "old tapes".

The book "Train Your Brain, Change Your Mind" is a fascinating account of the ongoing dialogues between neuroscientists and the Dalai Lama (well, fascinating for me :-D). The book begins by giving an account of the ruling dogma of the day: that the brain we were born with is all that we have to work with. Recent advances have shown that we have lots of opportunity to shape our brain.

The book starts with animal research, moves on to discuss work with children and adolescents, and ends with research during the adult years. The chapters on childhood and adolescence really hit home for me, and helped to solidify my commitment to the New World Leadership school and the importance of a positive early childhood environment. And, one of my old childhood tapes crept in there, too. I recognized it, honored my feelings in the moment and let it go.

It is toward the latter part of the book that Buddhist philosophy begins to weave more strongly into the commentary. The Dalai Lama asked a simple question: is the mind separate from the brain? Early attempts to answer this question were rebuffed by the neuroscientists, yet he persisted. It is a vital question, and science has advanced to answer this. For a long time, scientists believed that brain structure rules our cognition, and everything that we think, feel and do must come from our brain neural network. To Buddhists, intention is a quality of the mind, and can shape our brain structure over time with attention and focus. Through some fascinating studies with expert meditators (adepts and monks), they have been able to demonstrate that we can, in fact, shape our brains. Indeed, we truly have choice!

The implications are vast. The mind is intended to be balanced between the left (logic, linear) and right (creativity, emotion). We sometimes act as if we are victims of our brain and impulses (actor), and the "mind", the seat of our true self and our intention, is an observer. By shaping our thoughts and awareness, our brains will respond. This is where traditional philosophical traditions such as Buddhism and Hindu yoga, "New Age" spiritualism and mysticism, positive psychology and other belief systems are increasingly being supported by science.

I am also beginning to believe that the heart is a critical component of the mind, and in fact, the "mind" may really be the brain and heart working together. Heartmath has done extensive research in this area for many years. When I said "yes" to my husband's wedding vows during our weekend, it was my mind, my heart and my soul that were involved. It was not just a "brain" activity (thank goodness!)

Saying "yes" to working with the school is a commitment that is well beyond spreadsheets and logistics. It is a spiritual test in that we are saying yes on many levels. "Energy Anatomy" has been helping me to deeply explore the different levels of my commitment. What I like about this lecture series is that Caroline Myss spends a lot of time describing the seven chakras (seven energy centers that we all have in our body) and each stage of evolution as we mature through the focus on each chakra. Time and again, the seven chakra centers are important guideposts in my own journey. As I was listening to each stage, I could see parallels in my own commitment with the school and this was very helpful.

It is amazing how the stages of evolution through the chakras parallels the adult development stages of growth. Well, I guess that shouldn't be surprising after all ;-).

I am sure the weeks and months ahead will bring more situations where I can measure and evaluate my levels of mastery and the progress of my evolution. And for that I am eternally grateful...

All the best! Love, Mj

PS - I have added a "resources" tab to my website www.makechangepositive.com. Check back often, I am keeping a list of the many resources that I am using on this journey, and some commentary on "Why I Like". Enjoy!

0 comments:

Followers

Bookmark and Share
Personal Development Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP