Friday, September 25, 2009

Crazy (Fun) Day at the Senior Center

Fridays have become my "Reiki" day. Today I went to support a senior health fair. I stayed in the moment, punted for the end zone and had a blast in the process!

In this fair, I agreed to conduct 15 minute Reiki sessions with people who signed up. I got there, and the woman who was coordinating the fair asked me if I wanted people to sit in a circle. Hmmm. This is different than what I expected. I asked her what she had in mind, and told her it would be just fine. Time to punt!

So instead of doing Reiki one on one with a series of residents, I gave them a very quick overview of Reiki. Not a single one had heard of Reiki, prana, chi, life force energy, etc. So, for about 10 minutes I explained the basics to 12 people to people in their 80s and 90s, of which 90% were very hard of hearing. They "got" the basics, and how naturally we do a lot of these things already. We talked about how we "pick up things" about people when we shake their hands, we sandwich our hands around an area that is in pain, and how it feels in our hearts when we care about another person (i.e., expanding the heart chakra).

I got them started, and I went around the room to give them individual attention. They did really well and understood the concept. It was so beautiful to watch this unfold. Within a very short time they were helping each other. Some could really "feel the heat" or tingling between their hands, and the person who was receiving the energy could feel it too. They were astonished that "anyone" could do this and asking how to learn this, and what classes could they take.

And, it was pretty crazy in the room. I was "competing" with a Mary Kay demonstration that was also underway. It was quite loud - not the peaceful, "om" kind of feeling we like to associate with massages and energy work, but energy is energy and it was working nonetheless!

One gent named Gordon was very astute - he had asked if I invoke God or Jesus to help with the healing. I told him that he gets an A+ and goes to the head of the class. He and his partner for this activity said prayers before they started and asked for help with the healing. I thought that was great intuition on their part. Another woman named Amy Rae has a real natural talent for this work. She was moving a lot of energy. I encouraged them all to keep practicing on each other.

I'm glad I did this session, and in fact, am delighted that it was a group event. It would be okay for me to work on them one on one, but I really loved the idea that they could be there for each other. Funny how things work out better than expected. I love it!

With much love and gratitude, Mj XOXO

0 comments:

Followers

Bookmark and Share
Personal Development Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP