Sunday, October 26, 2008

My First Leap

In this first post, I will set a bit of context for this blog. This is titled "One Year in the Making". I am not sure what I am making in this year, but it will be an interesting growth experience I know. My intention is to let go and see what naturally arises. So, a bit of what this is and is not.

What this is:
... A place for me to reflect on my one year sabbatical.
... A check in. When I made my declaration, several people expressed interest in checking in with me along the way.
... A running commentary on my experience as I live in the present moment. I realize that I check my email far more often than I check in on my own experience.
... A way that may inspire your own thinking.
... A reflection of my mental, emotional, physical and spiritual self evolving.

What this is not:
... a debate about what is right or wrong. I respectfully encourage you to open your own blog. :-)
... my journal. I will be keeping a detailed journal, this will be a reflection of the highlights. Relax, I don't intend to bore you with the navel fuzz or toe crumb stuff.

Along the way, I will probably comment on how I came to this journey, why "now" and also my story up until now. I have been and will continue to rewrite my own history, which is part of this process which you will also probably see. I will probably gather some material from time to time and submit an article or two. I say "probably" because this will unfold. Time will tell what this becomes.

What is "coming up" for me is fear around a few things:

  • Will I really commit to this for a year - the sabbatical and the blog? There is a siren song that is calling me to get real and get back to being productive. Can I really commit to this?
  • This will come back to haunt me - a future employer will find this in the Google archives and think me a slacker, unpredictable and unreliable.
  • This blog is open to the world. I am exposing my personal logic for all to see. There is fear about "being seen". I have spent much of my life hiding.
  • People will think I am a failure, a loser, stupid, crazy and/or silly. Well, all of that can apply anyway. People will create and hold their own judgments about me whether I do this or not.
  • I am trying to use this time to accelerate what will unfold naturally anyway, and losing a year of my life. I was losing integrity with myself and screwing up more and more so I am hitting the pause button for a year. If I kept going I would get over it anyway.

LOL! Wow, look at that. It's amazing how much fear is here. Okay, time to hit the "publish" button.

Love, Mj

2 comments:

ProBusinessPinko October 27, 2008 at 10:04 PM  

A couple of questions: The word sabbatical implies/indicates time away from something - from what? In higher education, a sabattical is often taken to do research on a topic that would require travel or in depth study difficult to do with other teaching and typical research duties. Is your situation like that in any way?

What compelled you to take a sabbatical? What compelled you to call it a sabbatical rather than time off?

Ok. I'll stop. I'm very curious.

Happy hunting and for goodness sakes, have fun!

- Brian

Mojo October 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

Great questions Brian! I will create a new post and talk about this... Love, Mj

Followers

Bookmark and Share
Personal Development Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP